Duration: 6 hours
RURAL VILLAGES: THAT’S WHERE YOU WANT TO BE!
Learn about the lifestyle of the Italians in the rural villages where most of them live. An endless series of hilltop hamlets and little towns with a peculiar charme and lots of picturesque corners and images awaits visitors who want to discover the country in depth. Our original tour give you the fantastic opportunity to experience all this while riding an icon of the Italy mechanic industry: a vespa!
Nurture your curiosity about the life of the Italians!
Arianna & Friends arranges a day Vespa tour with a local guide with a fascinating route in a scenic hilly countryside and several stops at panoramic points, in small and picturesque medieval villages and in tiny hamlets off the beaten track, in a large rural territory between Pisa, San Gimignano and Volterra. A pick-nick at a picturesque local organic farm is included.
OUTLINE OF TOUR:
– Vespa rental for 6 hours starting from our main office in Peccioli, Pisa area
– An original, scenic and safe route across a hilly farmland of central Tuscany, an extended area between Pisa, Volterra and San Gimignano. The area is characterized by picturesque small villages, castles and rural hamlets joined by beautiful country roads bordered by lines of cypress trees.
– A private English speaking Vespa tour guide accompanying you for the whole trip. The guide shows you the villages and the attractions along the route with a particular focus on the history of the initial rural settlements, their development into villages and hamlets and the habits of the current inhabitants.
THE ROUTE AND THE FOOD:
– We start this great tour from our premises in Peccioli, between Pontedera and Volterra;
– The first stop is at a symbolic renaissance hamlet resulting from the agricultural planning of the area;
– Along a spectacular road with beautiful panoramas we will pass under the civic tower of Palaia and stare at the landscapes from the main church of Montefoscoli;
– Once descended down the hill we will ascend again to Montefoscoli and have a lovely stop for a pick-nick at a local organic farm;
– After the pick-nick, we countinue our route reaching other hilltop minor villages like Castelfalfi or Lajatico;
– We take our way back to Peccioli through a stunning territory of woods alternating with extensive grain fields, passing next to famous organic producers;
– With a series of picture stops we will get back to the village of Peccioli;.
– Helms provided
– Insurance included*
– Please, note that this offer is for maximum 8 Vespas, for min. 2 max 16 people.
* Please, note that the insurance refers to liability against third parties. The regular insurance does not cover the vespa riders themselves and their own vespa.
What you taste
This is a list of specialties that you are likely to sample as part of the program of this tour. Please, note that the specialties of the tasting session and/or lunch may vary according to the season and the availability of the products in the day of the tour.
In our tour we like showing you places off the beaten track and introducing you to Tuscan people with their personal stories, careers and characters.
You will have one of our guides with your party during the whole tour. Please, see below all the guides who can be with you.
During this experience you can also meet some of the Tuscan friends involved in the events. Please, see below which friends you are likely to encounter.
The total rate for this activity varies according to the number of people in your party.
Check rates in the table below.
VESPA TOUR to ancient hamlets & pick-nick
– RATES 2019 –
NUMBER OF PEOPLE IN YOUR PARTY
|2 persons (on 1 vespa)||€ 450|
|3 persons (on 2 vespas)||€ 560|
|4 persons (on 2 vespas)||€ 580|
|5 persons (on 3 vespas)||€ 690|
|6 persons (on 3 vespas)||€ 710|
|Fuel||€ 10 per vespa – to be paid cash on site|
|Extra vespa||€ 90 per vespa|
|Extra vespa + pick-nick||€ 105 per person|
- Vespa rental for a full-day – Rates refer to 1 vespa for 2 passengers
- Pick-nick lunch at a local organic farm
- Helm and insurance*
- Private tour guide for the whole tour
- Snack with local pastry and coffee or cappuccino or gelato
* Please, note that the insurance refers to liability against third parties. This kind of insurance does not cover the vespa riders themselves and their rental vespa.
Rates do NOT include
- Fuel: € 10 per Vespa – To be paid cash on site.
- Extra Vespas – in case each guests would like to ride one scooter: € 90 per vespa
- Transportation to our premises in Peccioli.
Here a lovely message sent by Sapnoti and Karthik from India after their honeymoon in Tuscany during which they experienced a private vespa tour and a cooking class on our farm
Karthik and I want to thank you and the whole family at the farm for the wonderful time we had in Italy. We cant stop talking about the trip to all our friends. We have already started trying to cook some simple pasta and later we hope to cook gnocchi and ravioli. Thanks to you and Carla for making the classes so enjoyable. It was a pleasure spending time with both of you.
Please thank Giuseppe for letting us stay at the farmhouse. We felt quite pampered during our stay there. And a big thanks to Pedro for being such a lovely escort. We enjoyed travelling around Tuscany on the vespa. You told us so much about the history and culture of Tuscany that we almost felt like locals. After your recommendations and directions from Giuseppe we successfully made it to many more towns than we had planned. Karthik and I agree that San Gimignano is our favourite town in Tuscany. Of course, the fantastic ice-cream may be affecting our judgement 🙂
I attach a few pictures that we had taken during our trip. The first few are of the cooking classes. The next is of Karthik with his new love, the vespa. The second last is of Pedro trying to chew Karthik’s shoes. And the last one of me in Volterra.
Although we dont have any immediate plans, but we do know that this was not our last trip to Italy. Thanks again
Sapnoti & Karthik
This round trip takes place in the municipalities of Peccioli, Palaia, Gambassi and Volterra.
Unless differently specified, the meeting point with the guide is in Peccioli. Detailled instructions will be provided.
DURATION & LENGTH OF ROUTE:
This program takes 6 hours, from 10 am to 4 pm. Time for reaching the meeting point not included. The route as described in this activity covers approximately 45 kms.
Available from April through October, from Mondays through Saturdays.
This tour is available in English, German, French, Spanish, Russian or Italian with no surcharge.
At the beginning of the tour the guide will help any rider to fulfill the documents necessary in order to rent vespa scooters from a local rental company. The scooters rented for this tour are modern vespa scooters with automatic transmission (no manual gear).
The insurance on the scooters is a basic civil liability policy as per legal requirements. This policy only covers damages to third parties and does not cover damages to the rider or the passenger, nor damages to the scooter itself. As a consequence, the rental agreement is valid only when filled in with valid credit card details of the rider, which might cover any damage in the event of an accident.
Riders must have an international driving license and must be over 18 years of age.
EXPERIENCE ON SCOOTERS IS REQUIRED - THIS TOUR IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS:
Before booking this tour it is essential for you to understand that the tour is addressed to people who have previous experience in riding a scooter, a vespa or a motorbike. If you never rode a scooter it is impossible for you to be able to ride it along the routes that the guide selects. Every tour starts with a 15-20 minute practice that is necessary for the rider to get confident with the scooter, especially in order to understand how brakes and accelerator work. The time for the practice is absolutely not enough to learn how to ride a scooter, for which people might need long hours or even days. So we need to make sure that you are already familiar with riding a 2 wheel vehicle, and the tour will not be your first occasion to ride a scooter. This is a necessary prerequisite for safety reasons and for guaranteeing a pleasant tour to you and the other participants in your party.
If you are not able to ride the scooter properly on the day of the tour, the guide can refuse to give the tour and you are not entitled to a refund.
Not ideal for children. Children under 10 years are not allowed on vespas.
No flip-flops but shoes or closed sandals required. It is advisable to wear trousers and not shorts and depending on the season it is recommended to bring a light jacket or a wind jacket.
The foods served during this tour might contain gluten, lactose, nuts and alcohol. If you have any food restriction, please inform our personnel during the enquiry process.
This program and its rates do not include transportation to the meeting point and are set on a self-driving base. For further information see the box "transportation options".
The meeting point where this activity starts is in an area in the rural Tuscany that is not easy to reach by public trasport. We highly recommend renting a car to reach it. As an alternative, we can offer a valued service by chauffeured car, van or minibus. Any cost of transportation is to be added to the rates displayed on the rate table of this page.