Duration: 6 hours
A VESPA TOUR FROM THE HOMETOWN OF VESPA
The town of Pontedera, between Pisa and Florence, is the historical location of the Piaggio company, the producer of Vespas since 1946. Pontedera is very easy to reach, even by train, from all Tuscan main towns and the Vespa museum is surely its most important attraction here. We arrange a full-day tour with guided visit to the museum and introduction to this Italian icon followed by a fascinating vespa tour around the hills surrounding Pontedera.
The myth and its territory
Learn about the real meaning of an icon in the town where it was invented and created. Our original tour starts from the premises of the company Piaggio with an introduction to the industrial district of Pontedera and a guided visit to the Vespa Museum, a beautiful collection of models from the prototype to the current scooters and a very interesting historical archive. The visit to the museum is followed by a breathtaking guided vespa tour through the scenic hills surrounding Pontedera.
OUTLINE OF TOUR:
– Vespa rental for 6 hours starting from Pontedera. The meeting point can be the train station or the vespa museum. Details will be provided during the booking procedure.
– An introduction to the industrial district of Pontedera with focus on the historical importance of the scooter in the whole regional and national economy and a detailled guided tour to the Vespa museum, a collection of original models from the initial design to nowadays.
– A stunning, varied and safe route across the rural Tuscany in the area of the Pisan hills through the territory of Palaia and Peccioli. An alternation of woods, olive groves, extended fields, vineyards with several stops in medieval and panoramic villages like Palaia, Montefoscoli, Peccioli and Terricciola.
– A private English speaking Vespa tour guide accompanying you for the whole trip. The guide shows you villages, hamlets and other attractions along the route with a particular focus on the landscapes, the local traditions and the historical and agricultural framework of the territory.
– We start this route from Pontedera and leave the town climbing a hill ascending to San Gervasio.
– In an extremely panoramic territory we will learn about the local habits and agricultural economy and stare at the view from Montefoscoli.
– From here we continue to Palaia where we have the occasion to stop for a quick but delicious lunch.
– After lunch we reach the fascinating wine district of Treggiaia and we have a few quick stops, including one in Forcoli to taste an original Italian gelato.
– Helms provided
– Insurance included*
– Please, note that this offer is for maximum 6 Vespas, for min. 2 max 12 people.
* Please, note that the insurance refers to liability against third parties. The regular insurance does not cover the vespa riders themselves and their own vespa.
What you taste
This is a list of specialties that you are likely to sample as part of the program of this tour. Please, note that the specialties of the tasting session and/or lunch may vary according to the season and the availability of the products in the day of the tour.
In our tour we like showing you places off the beaten track and introducing you to Tuscan people with their personal stories, careers and characters.
You will have one of our guides with your party during the whole tour. Please, see below all the guides who can be with you.
During this experience you can also meet some of the Tuscan friends involved in the events. Please, see below which friends you are likely to encounter.
The total rate for this activity varies according to the number of people in your party.
Check rates in the table below.
Vespa tour with visit to the vespa museum
– RATES 2019 –
NUMBER OF PEOPLE IN YOUR PARTY
|2 persons (on 1 vespa)||€ 390|
|3 persons (on 2 vespas)||€ 510|
|4 persons (on 2 vespas)||€ 540|
|5 persons (on 3 vespas)||€ 660|
|6 persons (on 3 vespas)||€ 690|
|Fuel||€ 10 per vespa – to be paid cash on site|
|Extra vespa||€ 90 per vespa|
|Extra person on a vespa + lunch and gelato||€ 105 per person|
- Vespa rental for a full-day – Rates refer to 1 vespa for 2 passengers
- Helm and insurance*
- Private English speaking tour guide for the whole tour – German, Russian, French or Spanish also available
- A guided visit to the vespa museum in Pontedera
- Coffee or cappuccino break at a traditional pastry shop with local cookies
- Guided visits to small villages
* Please, note that the insurance refers to liability against third parties. This kind of insurance does not cover the vespa riders themselves and their rental vespa.
Rates do NOT include
- Fuel – € 10 per Vespa
- Extra Vespas – in case each guests would like to ride one scooter
- Transportation to the meeting point in Peccioli – near Pisa
- Light lunch at a local restaurant along the route: € 20 per person
This round trip takes place in the municipalities of Pontedera, Palaia, Peccioli and Terricciola.
Unless differently specified, the meeting point with the guide is at the train station of Pontedera or at the Vespa museum. Exact details will be provided during the booking procedure.
DURATION & LENGTH OF ROUTE:
This program takes 6 hours, from 10 am to 4 pm. Time for reaching the meeting point not included. The route as described in this activity covers approximately 40 kms.
Available from April through October. Not available on Sundays and Mondays.
This tour is available in English, German, French, Spanish, Russian or Italian with no surcharge.
At the beginning of the tour the guide will help any rider to fulfill the documents necessary in order to rent vespa scooters from a local rental company. The scooters rented for this tour are modern vespa scooters with automatic transmission (no manual gear).
The insurance on the scooters is a basic civil liability policy as per legal requirements. This policy only covers damages to third parties and does not cover damages to the rider or the passenger, nor damages to the scooter itself. As a consequence, the rental agreement is valid only when filled in with valid credit card details of the rider, which might cover any damage in the event of an accident.
Riders must have an international driving license and must be over 18 years of age.
EXPERIENCE ON SCOOTERS IS REQUIRED - THIS TOUR IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS:
Before booking this tour it is essential for you to understand that the tour is addressed to people who have previous experience in riding a scooter, a vespa or a motorbike. If you never rode a scooter it is impossible for you to be able to ride it along the routes that the guide selects. Every tour starts with a 15-20 minute practice that is necessary for the rider to get confident with the scooter, especially in order to understand how brakes and accelerator work. The time for the practice is absolutely not enough to learn how to ride a scooter, for which people might need long hours or even days. So we need to make sure that you are already familiar with riding a 2 wheel vehicle, and the tour will not be your first occasion to ride a scooter. This is a necessary prerequisite for safety reasons and for guaranteeing a pleasant tour to you and the other participants in your party.
If you are not able to ride the scooter properly on the day of the tour, the guide can refuse to give the tour and you are not entitled to a refund.
Not ideal for children. Children under 10 years are not allowed on vespas.
No flip-flops but shoes required. It is advisable to wear trousers and not shorts and depending on the season it is recommended to bring a light jacket or a wind jacket.
The foods served during this tour might contain gluten, lactose, nuts and alcohol. If you have any food restriction, please inform our personnel during the enquiry process.
This program and its rates do not include transportation to the meeting point and are set on a self-driving base. For further information see the box "transportation options".